I may be a Boston girl now, but I grew up in Texas, which means I have Southern blood. In the South, there is a delicious treat known as hummingbird cake. It is basically banana bread on crack, but is so moist and amazingly tasty that I have to share it. Here is my spin on a hummingbird cake with the balance of ingredients I found to work best!
Pro tip: if you are sick of plain old banana bread, this is a good way to use those overripes! The whipped cream cheese icing also makes a GREAT fruit dip!
- 3 c flour
- 2 c sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp cloves
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 eggs
- 3 overripe bananas (chopped finely or mashed)
- 8 oz crushed pineapple in a can (in juice, not syrup)
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1 1/2 c butter (yes, 3 sticks – melted and cooled off a little)
- 1 1/2 c chopped pecans
Extra Whipped Cream Cheese Icing
- 2 packages cream cheese
- 3-4 c powdered sugar
- 1 container heavy whipping cream
- vanilla if desired
- extra chopped pecans
- ****if you want dried pineapple for decor as I did, I was able to find the mini dried pineapple slices at Trader Joe’s
- Preheat oven to 350 and prepare your cake pans. This recipe uses three 9″ cake pans for a three layer cake.
- Whisk all dry ingredients together in a bowl. Feel free to be generous with the spices, that is up to your own personal taste.
- In a separate bowl, mix all wet ingredients: eggs, bananas, pineapple, vanilla, butter.
- Slowly mix wet ingredients in with dry until well combined. Mix in pecans.
- Distribute batter evenly among three cake pans. Bake at 350 for 25-35 minutes or until top has set and toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Let cakes cool COMPLETELY.
- In your mixer with the whisk attachment, combine the cream cheese and powdered sugar, a little at a time. You will have a pasty, thick result. Over time, start adding heavy whipping cream with mixer on med-low until you have an overly wet mixture. Slowly increase speed until mixer is on high/very high and let whip for 3-4 minutes. When your icing is done, it should be very light and fluffy, if it needs more whipping time have at it.
- Layer the cake as follows: cake, icing, chopped pecans, cake, icing, chopped pecans, cake, icing all over, DECOR! If you feel like getting crazy, you can add shaved coconut, maybe even JAM between the layers? Go wild.