Yes, I know, its been awhile since cupcakes were on our radar. Yes, I know, blueberries are not in season. YES, I know, I’m back to cooking with gluten. I can’t win with you people.
I love my job. I enjoy the work that I do, I enjoy the mental capacity that is required of me, and I love the people that I work with. They are mentors, friends, great people and even better taste-testers, so its only right that I make something special for one of them turning the big 3-0. Enter blueberry cupcakes.
- 1 stick unsalted butter, softened
- 2 egg whites
- 2 eggs
- 2 c flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- ¾ c buttermilk
- 1½ c granulated sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- blue food coloring
- blueberries, mashed (about 10-15)
- 2 c blueberries
- 1 c water
- 1 c granulated sugar
- 4 tbs cornstarch
- 1 tbs lemon juice
Cream Cheese Icing
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, softened (do not microwave)
- 16 oz cream cheese
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3-4 c confectioners’ sugar (as needed)
- 1 tsp blueberry filling
- blueberries for topping
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt, and baking soda. Whisk to remove any lumps.
- In your mixer, beat butter until creamy. Add sugar and vanilla and mix until combined. Add egg whites and eggs one at a time, mixing thoroughly between each.
- Reduce speed to low and alternate adding the flour mixture and buttermilk. Add food coloring and mashed blueberries. Mix until combined.
- Fill cupcake liners in pan about two thirds of the way. Bake for 23-26 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow to cool completely.
- While cupcakes are baking/cooling: Blueberry filling – In a pot add all ingredients, bringing them to boil and stirring. Reduce your heat to medium and stir constantly until berries are soft and filling is thick. Cool completely.
- Use a knife to make a small hole in the center of each cupcake that goes about two thirds of the way down. Fill the hole with blueberry filling. Top with cream cheese icing (or vanilla, if preferred).
Instructions: Cream Cheese Icing
- Mix the butter and cream cheese until creamy, and add vanilla and blueberry. Gradually add the confectioner’s sugar. Beat until fluffy. If your buttercream is too thick, add cream. If it is too wet, add more powdered sugar (a little at a time). Allow cupcakes to cool completely before frosting.