I hate sweet potatoes. I know that is a cardinal sin to most, but it never sat right with me that I would want sweet fries with my burger. That being said, I do love sweet potato at Thanksgiving. It generally is served just as it should, sweet. Whether you have a casserole with cinnamon sugar, or top it with marshmallows, you know what I mean.
Number 2 in my “pie-themed” cupcakes is a Sweet Potato Pie cupcake. The base is made up of a moist, sweet potato cake, filled with mashed candied yams, and topped with, you guessed it, marshmallow topping.
Sweet Potato Cupcakes
- 1/2 c butter, softened
- 1 1/2 c brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 can candied yams, drained and mashed
- 2 c flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 1/2 tsp ginger
- 1 ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp cloves
- 1/2 cup milk or heavy cream
- Marshmallow spread (Fluff)
- Mini Marshmallows
- Kitchen Torch
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In mixing bowl, beat butter and brown sugar until fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, vanilla and 1 cup of the mashed sweet potatoes.
- In a separate bowl, combine the dry ingredients and spices. Alternate adding milk and the flour mixture and mix until well incorporated.
- Fill each liner halfway, and place a small spoonful of the remaining mashed candied yams in the center. Fill the liner the rest of the way.
- Bake 20 to 24 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Spread a layer of Marshmallow topping and use it as a glue to add the mini marshmallows. Use a kitchen torch to brown the marshmallows.