As a part of my Thanksgiving, I wanted to get a little creative with desserts. Pie is great, nobody is hating on pie, but what if your favorite pies could come in an easy portable form? No, I refuse to acknowledge those mini, bite-size pies. I’m talking delicious pecan pie in a cupcake. You can’t go wrong. I went even further down the rabbit hole to create three “pie-themed” cupcakes. Let’s start with number 1.
These brown butter cupcakes are filled with Pecan Pie filling. Yep, I said it. Topped with a light vanilla buttercream and fresh pecans, you’re essentially eating pie at Grandma’s table. The Pecan Pie filling keeps the cupcake moist and adds just the perfect amount of sugary goodness to the simple cake. This recipe is a few more steps than the rest of my cupcake recipes, but is that much better, too.
Pecan Pie filling:
- 1 c and 5 tbs granulated sugar
- 3 tbs dark brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 10 tsp unsalted butter
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp flour
- 2 tbs water
- 1 ½ c and 2 tsp butter, softened
- ¼ c and 3 tsp sugar
- ¼ c and 3 tsp dark brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 c flour
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- 7 tsp whole milk or heavy cream
- ¼ tsp vanilla
- 1 c shortening
- 1/2 c butter, softened
- 4 1/2 c powdered sugar
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 tbs vanilla
- 2-4 tbs heavy cream
- In a saucepan over low heat, combine butter, white sugar, brown sugar, salt, vanilla, egg, flour and water. Stir gently until the butter has melted and the mixture starts to thicken. After the mixture begins to bubble, cook for 10 seconds, stirring constantly
- Remove mixture from heat and pour onto a large plate. Place in fridge to cool completely.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- In a medium bowl, beat butter and sugars and mix until fluffy.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, and mix until well incorporated.
- Add the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Mix until well incorporated before adding the milk and vanilla.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Once cupcakes are cool, use a small knife to create a cone in the center of each cake, fill with pecan pie mixture, being sure to pack it down to the bottom of the cone. Half 6 pecans long-ways and push a half into each cupcakes’ filling.
- Top with vanilla buttercream and crushed pecans.
- Beat butter and shortening on med-high. Add sugar a little at a time, alternating with tbs of cream, scraping the bowl between. Once fully incorporated, mix on high 10 minutes or until light and fluffy.