Ah, tis the season of pumpkin spice. There’s a reason its everywhere – its undeniably delicious. Unfortunately, each year it gets more and more out of control. We can’t be happy just with lattes anymore, I even saw “pumpkin spice solo cups” today. Yes, cups. Plastic cups, colored orange. Throw these on the shelf with the pumpkin spice pasta sauce, pumpkin spice butter, and pumpkin spice soap and you’ve got everything you need. I’m not a huge PSL fan, so I prefer to bake with pumpkin and these bars are my go-to. Buttery, yellow cake serves as a “crust” topped with smooth, gooey pumpkin filling. Deliciously sweet on their own, or great topped with some fresh whipped cream, these bars are a great way to change up your traditional pumpkin recipes. Try the bars with a traditional graham cracker crust for another great combination.
The next few months will be filled with cinnamon, apple, pumpkin and nutmeg, so I am happy to kick it off with my favorite treat. Enjoy!
- 2 c flour
- 1 1/2 c sugar
- 1 tbs baking powder
- 1/2 c non-fat powdered milk
- 1 egg
- 1 stick salted butter, melted
- 1 can pumpkin puree
- 1 stick cream cheese, softened
- 1 stick butter, melted
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1 box powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Combine dry ingredients of cake base. Add melted butter and egg. Press into greased pan and spread evenly.
- In large bowl, combine pumpkin puree and cream cheese until well blended. Add butter, eggs and vanilla. Add spices and powdered sugar and pour over cake base.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes or until slightly firm on top. Do not overcook, as pumpkin filling should still be soft.