Dark Chocolate Cake:
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 cup unsweetened/dark cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup finely chopped semisweet chocolate
- 1 stick unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup coffee (room temperature)
Peanut Butter Buttercream:
- 1 stick unsalted butter, softened (do not microwave)
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter
- 2 cups confectioner’s sugar
- 3-4 tablespoons milk
- In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt until combined.
- Then in an additional small bowl, stir together buttermilk and coffee.
- In the bowl of your mixer, mix the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, and add in the vanilla.
- Add half the dry ingredients to butter mixture and half the buttermilk and coffee. Add the other half of the dry and the remaining buttermilk and coffee. Add the semisweet chocolate and mix until consistent.
- Fill cupcake liners 2/3 of the way full. Bake at 375° for about 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Mix the butter and peanut butter until creamy. Gradually add the confectioner’s sugar, and add the milk once it starts to thicken, a little at a time. Beat until fluffy. If your buttercream is too thick, add more cream. If it is too wet, add more powdered sugar (a little at a time). Allow cupcakes to cool completely before frosting.