- 1/2 teaspoon ginger
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup milk
Cinnamon Cream Cheese Buttercream
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, softened (do not microwave)
- 16 oz cream cheese
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3-4 cups confectioners’ sugar (as needed)
- 3-4 tablespoons cream (as needed)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the ginger, nutmeg, cardamom, cinnamon, cloves, and pepper. Add the flour, salt, and baking powder.
- In the electric mixer, beat the butter and sugar until fluffy. Add the egg and vanilla. Gradually add the flour mixture to the wet until well combined, alternating with adding the milk.
- Fill the cupcake liners 2/3 of the way. Bake for 26-29 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Cream Cheese Icing:
Mix the butter, cinnamon, and cream cheese until creamy, and add vanilla. Gradually add the confectioner’s sugar. Beat until fluffy. If your buttercream is too thick, add cream. If it is too wet, add more powdered sugar (a little at a time). Allow cupcakes to cool completely before frosting.